Thursday, November 16, 2006

Day #16

So, as promised, I will now talk about my random TV-viewing habits. And, no, I will not talk about anime.

So, really, my TV-viewing isn't all that strange or random.
Although I enjoy comedy, for the most part I don't get into sitcoms. Too much stupidity, not enough good comedy. While in college, I watched Friends for a bit, but evenutally gave up on it. I watched ER and Survivor cuz my friends were, but after college, never watched again. I am actually easily swayed, TV-wise, by what the people around me are watching. Even when in college, my mom got me hooked on watching CSI, and now that I'm home, I still watch it. And because I watched the original, I started to watch CSI: Miami, and then CSI: New York. I still watch New York, but Miami kinda lost me with the whole Columbia thing. Basically, the plot wasn't holding my interest, and neither were any of the characters. Unlike CSI and New York, which have characters I enjoy watching. I also now watch NCIS, which is like CSI but with the Navy, and Numb3rs, which is all "crime drama + geek" which fits me well. Basically, exceptfor the weekends, there's at least one show a night I watch, and they're all pretty similar. Monday being the exception, because I no longer watch CSI: Miami. I started to watch Heroes, which is awesome, and I totally love the Japanese guy, Hiro, especially in the first episode, but one week I missed an episode because I was working and forgot to tape it, and even forgot to tape it on that Friday since SciFi repeats the week's episode, and I haven't watched in since. That sow moves so quickly that if you miss an episode, you've missed too much of the stary and have no idea what's going on. So, when they do reruns or even when the season comes out on DVD, I'll get myself caught up. Tuesdays are NCIS, Wednesdays (if I'm not working) are Criminal Minds (my mom watches it, and it's got Inigo Montoya!), CSI: New York, and Ghost Hunters on SciFi (which I'll talk about in a minute). Thursdays are CSI, and Fridays are Numb3rs. Since most of these are shows my mom watches, she'll tape them so I can watch at a later time (like today I watched Numb3rs and NCIS from earlier). I really enjoy NCIS, because some of the characters are very amusing (like the goth who runs the lab), but other than New York, it's the least geeky of my shows. I love Numb3rs because it reminds us how much we actually use math, and I am of a scientific mind and therefore enjoy that approach. Of the CSIs, I've always like the original the best, because the head of the group (in this case, Grissom) is a scientist, and not a cop, so he approaches cases from that angle. Which is the reason I adore Ghost Hunters. I occasionally watch Most Haunted or A Haunting on the Travel Channel, but given the choice, I'll always opt for Ghost Hunters. Mainly because it's much more scientific. A Haunting is reenactments, and really just makes me feel like I'm watching a movie. It doesn't seem real. Most Haunted, athough it's in England (for which it gets bonus points) has the problem of the medium. Almost all the "evidence" reported in it, and shows similar, are some medium going "Yes, I sense the presence of someone...there were people murdered here...black magic was practiced here..." that sort of thing. And me, being the scientific realist pessimist that I am, am always sitting there going "I could walk into a room and say the same thing...does that make me a psychic??" But Ghost Hunters. They're plumbers fer chrissakes! Not much more real, down-to-earth jobs exist. They rely on technology, on camera and voice recorders and thermal imaging software, over they're "personal experiences". And I greatly enjoy that.

Oh my....that's kinda long, and rambling. But oh well, there it is. Probably not that interesting in the long run, but too bad for you, I'm just not that interesting.

Mata ashita!

No comments: