Sunday, November 12, 2006

Day #12

So, it should be well known to my readers that I work at Michaels Arts & Crafts, though I'm about as crafty as a mushroom in that sense ("Hey! I'm a fungi! Get it? Fun guy??"). Well, a few months ago, the corporation was bought out by someone else. No big deal. They've implemented a bag check policy (though only half-assed at my store), and we've changed insurance carriers. Nothing to raise my ire. Until now. We have a memo posted behind the desk of our hours this coming Xmas season. Starting around Nov. 18, we will close at 9 on Sundays and 10 the rest of the week. We've already begun closing at 8 on Sundays (like tonight). But the week before Xmas, we will stay open until 10 on Sunday and 11 the rest of the week! Madness, I tell you! Do they really think there will be that many people in there at 10:45?? But just you watch. The store will be such a mess that we won't leave until midnight or 1 AM. That's gonna be one helluva week. I'll be glad for Xmas, just because I won't necessarily be covered in glitter, though it may be ground into my skin by then. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

Oh well, mata ashita.

4 comments:

bibliophile81 said...

Yuck. And what's a bag check policy?

norahs1213 said...

Managers are supposed to check employee's bags (purses, stuff they bought, etc.) upon our leaving the store. *Supposed* to.

rabidmonkey said...

i'm telling you, they WILL be shopping at 11:45. at the mall it was always kind of dead that last hour the first few days after an extension, but it picked up once people realized it. as long as it's posted, people will know and will be shopping that late.

and considering since last year we were routinely there until midnight-ish when we closed at 10, we will most likely end up not leaving until 1:00 am at some point. and you know we'll both be there for it.

at leat, i hope you're there if i am, because my dad will be super cranky if he has to stay up late to come get me. he didn't like it when the mall stayed open until 11 and it takes way less time to close a kiosk.

velocibadgergirl said...

I had no idea they got bought out. That seems so weird to me, when it looked last year like the company was doing really well. Maybe they just wanted to make maximum profit while they could with the sale?