Thursday, February 22, 2007

"The Rage" indeed...

So, a friend of mine recently posted a well composed and dignified rant (look for the one entitled "Recycled Child") on her blog about some apparent nutcase’s loathing of adoption, among other things. And, if I may quote from said friend, “The Rage” is an apropos term for the feelings one gets from even one word from the nutcase. So, while I don’t really have much knowledge of adoption, seeing as she’s the only person I can think of that I know even partly well that has ever been adopted, I’m going to introduce to this blog of mine more of my personal feelings than I ever have before.


Adoption: I see very little wrong with this as a viable option if presented with either an unexpected/unwanted pregnancy or as an alternative to physically birthing a child. While I am pro-choice, I don’t feel it necessary to abort every child conceived under less-than-perfect circumstances. I’m a realist, and I know that if we made abortions illegal, then we would have desperate women in alleyways with rusty coat-hangers, wherein both the fetus and the mother will end up dead. So, we make abortions legal, safe, clean, and expensive (but not too-expensive, because then they’re back in the alley with the hanger), so as to encourage people to think, do I really need to have this abortion. I mean, c’mon! Did the prohibition work? Is the “war on drugs” going smoothly? Then why would making abortions illegal solve anything??

Sorry, this was supposed to be about adoption. So, in any given case, whether it be rape-victim (because very few people, no matter how much love they will give to their child, will be completely alright with a physical reminder of such an event), pre-teen (or barely teen), or poor family with too many children to feed without the next on the way; in any of these cases, what can be so bad about having the courage to give that child what will hopefully be a better future? Especially because we all know that if we stopped with adoptions, these children would more than likely end up wards of the state; walking, talking bundles of depression and rage. And who can blame them? Being told over and over again that they aren’t loved, shipped from one foster family to the next; by the time they are legal to do anything, they are convinced that no one gives a flying fuck about them or anything they do…it just perpetuates the cycle.

(Don’t get me wrong, I know that not all foster situations end that way, but quite a few do. Never take anything I say as 100%; I am a scientist. We base our ideas on logic and what we know now, but the goal of the science is to go further, to be proven wrong, because only then can we move on to the next level of knowledge.)

And what about the people who are doing the adoption? The parents who long for a child?? The majority are usually people who for one reason or another cannot have children, either because they are infertile or because we have yet to get to the point where we can splice the genetic material from one egg into another, or can convert the DNA of a sperm into an egg, and therefore give homosexual couples a choice to have children that are theirs, wholly biologically theirs. And why not, when there are children born all the time who need loving parents, just opt for adoption?

On the flipside, I know far too many people (myself included) who would gladly at age 25 go through surgery to have some of those bits removed. Your uterus doesn’t work? Well, I don’t want mine, so how about we try for the first ever uterus-transplant? So many of my friends don’t want children, and at least one has said “If at some point I do decide I want children, I’m adopting.” And I totally agree with that. If, and this is a HUGE if, if I ever find someone I want to spend my life with, and this person is all “I want at least one kid!”, there is NO WAY I want to give birth myself. I don’t want the problems of pregnancy, the gestational diabetes; I don’t want to pass on the myriad of health problems anything from my genetic stock would be stuck with; and I sure as hell don’t want to go through the actual “birth process”. Hail no!


I feel kind of tapped out at the moment…I was planning on touching on some of the other things the nutcase was against, like La Laeche League (of which I am a product), or even a crazy rant on religion (won’t that be fun!), but I guess I can save that for the next serious rant I go on. It just…that nutcase’s illogic (what am I, a Vulcan?!?) pains me and makes me irate. Definitely not a scientist, that one…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to post this on Velocibadgergirls post, too, but that might be redundant.

Anyway I read recently they can give hormones to adoptive mothers so they can breastfeed their adopted children. Cool huh?

A-muse-ing said...

La Laeche League? What's that? Maybe I should read the nutcase's stuff to find out. Or Wiki it, which might be better, given how enraged I tend to get over the sheer stupidity of some people. Um. This is what I came up with via Goodsearch.com. Is that right? I know you were breastfed for a long time. So maybe that's right.

Ooh! Ooh! Religious rant! I wanna hear! :-D

Peace and love.