Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My war with technology

So, way back when, when I graduated from college (or really, the week before I graduated), my parents got me a laptop. My parents, thinking (oh, silly parents) that I would be attending graduate school, thought a laptop would be more useful to me, but knowing that laptops are prone to problems, when they purchased it, they also purchased the 3-year extra warranty from SAMS.

Seeing as the desktop I had throughout undergrad I had named (Floyd, btw), I figured that my laptop also needed a name. Since by this time I had already become enamored of Japanese...anything...I came across the name Oni-kun, which roughly translates to "cute little boy demon/ogre". Silly me, to some degree I think that name encouraged my computer to be a little bit more, well, demonic. I have already had to send it in to be repaired for power problems, which stemmed from the fact that I set it down on its power cord one too many times and effectively broke the little pin in the DC jack on the back of the computer. Fine, good, they fixed it. That was over a year ago. But it's doing it again. And this time, I definitely didn't set it down oddly. I think it just enjoys making me angry. And, this time it's also having problems spinning and recognizing CDs and DVDs. So, it's being sent in again.

As a precaution, this time I have bought an external hard drive to copy some files (not that anything was lost last time), and basically to expand my ever shrinking hard drive. This drive was $160 of credit card issues (which are hopefully resolved by now!) that I had some trouble getting to work with my computer earlier today. But, I finally got it working, and copied my music, pictures, videos, and Works documents (since it's still free on my computer).

Now I'm thinking that my external hard drive also needs a name. But what kind of name goes well with Oni-kun? Should it be another name from Japanese mythology? Like Kitsune? Or would that just encourage the hard drive to play tricks on me. Or should it be a random name, like Bob, or Steve?

Any thoughts, the 3 people who occasionally read this blog?

6 comments:

rabidmonkey said...

if the laptop is a demon, how about balancing it by naming the harddrive angel. you know, however you say that in japanese.

A-muse-ing said...

lol I thought you said you'd saved your "pirates" (I mis-read "pictures"). lol Um.

I do like the suggestion of "angel" to oppose "demon." Sounds like a good choice to me!

Peace and love.

Anonymous said...

I say name it Outie. As opposed to Innie. Since it is an external hard drive.

velocibadgergirl said...

I think Bob is a great name for any random object. I once had a houseplant named Bob, myself. Of course...Bob the palm did die in an unfortunate cat-related incident, so maybe that's not the best name for an expensive computer part.

Lard Bobbo said...

Silly sister, it's not the computer that's demonic, it's Bill Gates greed. As for the external hard drive, just call it "the box" or "the shelf", that's what I'd call mine if I acually started mentioning it in everyday conversation. And remember, it's not really a declared war, it's a "conflict".

Lard Bobbo said...

Y'know what you REALLY need, is a computer like mine (thinkpad), then if your cd-player starts giving you hell, just push latch, pull tab, and yank the sucker out, thank God for interchangeable parts!;-)