Monday, February 26, 2007

One of the funniest things...

...that has ever happened to me while at work happened tonight. And I must share...


I had left the confines of my register to do a bit of recovery (cleaning/making sure everything is in the right place), and was over by the flowers. I hear behind me a "Excuse me, do you work here?" followed by a "Of course you do" as I turned around and the guy saw that I was wearing that lovely red apron. He went on to explain that he had been in a few weeks before, and one of the guys who works there had helped him quite a bit, and did I know which guy it was, since he couldn't remember his name, and he wanted to thank him. Well, seeing as there aren't many guys who work at Michaels, his description of "about as tall as me, with dark hair, about 18 maybe" led me to say "Oh, that's Nick. He's not working tonight." The guy was like "Oh...do you know when he works next? I really want to thank him in person for helping me..." So, as I head back to check when Nick works next, the guy follows me. He looks maybe 20 (I find out later he's 19), and kinda preppy, and I'm just like "Well, if I'm nice and give him information, he'll go away." Ha.

I tell him Nick closes tomorrow, so he'll be there after 4, so he can come in and thank him then. About this time, Sara, one of the girls I work with, wandered over to my cubicle, most likely to damage something out. The guy starts saying "Hmm...I have to take my car in for work tomorrow at 4..." and talks about his car for a good 5 min, before asking us where good places to buy cars are, since he's thinking about selling the one he's got and getting another. I'm thinking he's gotta be from out of town, most likely going to college at UE or USI or something, but anyways. He's talking about all this, and while he's talking, I take care of the few customers who come up to check out. Then Sara goes back to her recovery, and the guy decides to fill out a little card thing we have sitting on the counter next to me about getting the ad via email, while I continue to check out customers. A little of what's going through my mind is "Why is he filling that out, anyways?"

So, I get a lull in customers, and he comes around in front of my counter (like he'd be when checking out) and says, kinda quietly "Ok, so I really just wanted to talk to that guy again, but...[even quieter] is he gay?" I respond with "We don't really know. He hasn't said and we haven't asked." And it's true. Of the 6 guys who work there, 2 are definitely straight, the boss (who's married) and the other high schooler, we're 99% sure 3 are gay (I mean, hell, one's a drag queen, but not one anyone should want to see...), and then there's Nick.

Anyways, the guy goes on to say that he wasn't sure either...apparently the last time he was in it was with his ex, and he thought Nick gave him a look, but he wasn't quite sure if it was a "Check that out" look or a "Dude's gotta be gay" look. Then he starts to ask me how old Nick was. I say he's probably 17, since he's still in high school, and the guy looks kinda disappointed, and says something to the effect that he's 19, so that won't work. Meanwhile, a customer comes up on my left for an exchange, and the guy says "I'll wait." Mind you, I thought he was talking about the fact that Nick is 17, and I burst out laughing. The guy is all "Oh, well, I didn't mean it like that, but that's true, too." Anyways, I deal with that customer, and the guy goes back to talking to me. He lets out one more double entendre (but I've forgotten what it was, now) before I remind him that Nick will be there tomorrow after 4, if he really wants to try and talk to him. The guy asks me if I'll be there tomorrow, and I say "Nope, that's one of my days off this week, sorry." And then he leaves.

And I laugh the rest of the night.

I feel a bit like a matchmaker, and to a large degree, I hope that Nick is gay, cuz, man that takes balls. To go in to a store to find someone you've kinda but not really met once, and once you realize they're not there, to go ahead and ask someone else who works there when that person will be there next...wow, I'm in awe. Plus, it was just really funny. I dunno, maybe you had to be there.


God, "I'll wait"...still funny!



Oh, and a separate funny of the evening, from the boss, on one of the other girls who works there apparently trying to get pregnant, but apparently not having enough time since she has another job... "It doesn't take that long!" Hehehehe.

12 comments:

A-muse-ing said...

Oh, God, where's the quote book when you need it??? lol

Oh, wait, it's right next to me.... ;) That is great. :)

Peace and love.

Lard Bobbo said...

sharon u crazy, but in a good way

rabidmonkey said...

wait...THE boss, or another manager, because i can not see him saying that.

you forgot a straight guy, 20 hours a week on register 3.

props to ballsy guy and i do hope for his sake nick is gay. too bad i'm off, too. that could prove interesting.

rabidmonkey said...

did you know your time stamps are set for pacific time?

Julie M. said...

I can verify, though I can't remember the exact circumstances of Sept. 12, that according to usual patterns, my baby was probably created in 10 minutes or less. Surely your coworker gets a lunch break???

Anonymous said...

You'll have to post a follow up story to this story. . .I wanna hear if they hook up LOL!

norahs1213 said...

LOL....Yes, it was THE boss who said that, about Karma back in framing. Sara had to run out of the office so she wouldn't laugh in Karl's face. I have no qualms about that, though.

As for the other thing...I doubt I'll find out anything. As I've said before, Nick doesn't talk about himself much.

And, crap, I did forget about Danny. Oops. Definitely straight, that one, since he's married and a grandfather.

And, no, I didn't know my timestamp's off...guess I gotta fix that....

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that's fabulous! I want to hear all the follow-up details!

bibliophile81 said...

Damn... looky at all these comments!

Anyway, all of that is hilarious. And yes, that does take balls. I had to rely on Mrs. Badger and Danger to extract similar information recently. (Oh... if you haven't heard that story, it's not really worth hearing, so don't worry about it.)

velocibadgergirl said...

I want the ad via email.

And also, HA :D

rabidmonkey said...

nick called in sick and i worked his hours. no young men came calling, at least not that i know of. judy would have told me, since i told her the story, although it's possible he wasn't comfortable asking a grandmother about a cute guy.

A-muse-ing said...

Aww. Well, perhaps ballsy guy will come in another time to seek out Nick. :) We can hope, right? :)

Peace and love.