Saturday, September 22, 2007

2 weeks

All right, I have been working now for 2 weeks. I have a working phone, although it still has the answering machine message from when I used it last, which was senior year in college. I have an address, so deserving parties should be getting an email with such information soon, if you don't already have it. I have practically no money, even though I got paid on Thursday. (but since it was only for one week, it wasn't really enough, and the bad thing is, I won't get paid again until after rent is due, and the day before 3 other bills are due, and I don't have enough to cover all those until I get paid again....if I mail it the day it's due, does that still work??)


I haven't actually been having problems getting up and getting to work, even though it's way too early for a night child such as myself. However, since I find it nearly impossible to go to bed before at least 11, if not midnight, I'm pretty worthless at work for the first hour or two. Maybe it'll get better, since I'm out of training now, and will be able to listen to music as I work now. Maybe. Since I can't bring in burned CDs or anything, and aren't allowed to sing, I may have some problems. We'll see. But, yeah, out of training, so we'll see how many times people have to come up and say to me "Hey, are you blind? That's not what that is, or where that is." I'm not sure I'm nit-picky enough for this. But, this will probably be all I write for the job. You get no particulars, ever. Sorry, but it's out of my hands.

As for other topics...for tonight, I can actually post a little, since I have the promised before and after pics of my apartment (which I'll put at the bottom). But...after this, I'm afraid I won't be very interesting for a while. After I get back from work, I don't leave my apartment. On the weekends, I leave to go shopping and do laundry. I have no idea who my neighbors are (or neighbor, since there's no one to the left of me). I haven't met that many people at work since training was just me, the trainer, and one other guy. And since I had to leave work early on Monday to meet the guy who would install my cable, all week I took 30 min lunches, instead of my hour, so I couldn't even bond with the few people I saw in the break room. And it's not like I'll bond a whole lot on my lunches anyway, since half the time I'm tempted to go back to the apartment for lunch, cuz it's cheaper than eating out, and doesn't require putting my name on things. I only did that once the first week, though. Who knows. But yeah, since I don't know that many people, it's not like I've got anyone to hang out with and go places with. So, I'm probably even more boring now than I was back home. Hopefully that will change, but it won't be for a few months. I need my time to get settled and comfortable before going "Hey! You seem cool. Will you be my friend?"

Hmm...I'm apparently feeling melancholy...maybe it's the remains of my headache. Anyways. Oh, I've got a library card for the county, and can get stuff sent from Cleveland, so that's cool. And I got a new bank, since HFCU doesn't exist outside of southern IN.

You know, that seems to be about it...oh! One weird thing...and maybe it's not that weird to other people, but it was weird to me. First, this town has very few grocery opportunities. There's Walmart, and a place called Buehlers'. That's about it. Especially near me. So, anyways, I went to B's last weekend and bought quite a lot. Well, about 5 plastic bags worth, I believe. Anyways, when I was finished checking out, my cashier handed me 2 large plastic cards (about the size and shape of thin-pack DVD cases) each with a series of numbers on them, both in different colors. No explanation, just handed them to me. And when I looked to the end of the lane I saw my empty cart. My just paid for groceries were gone. Into two large plastic bins the bagger boy slipped into a hole in the wall. Apparently, this place has a drive through grocery pick up. If you buy enough that you can't carry it out in your hands, they slip it down a line (with those metal rolly washboard looking things) and give you cards telling the guys working the line which bins are yours. Then they put it in your car for you. It was kinda cool, but confusing as all get-out, especially for someone new to town. They could have at least told me, when I obviously looked confused and lost. And the cashier was so efficient about the whole card thing, too. It just weirded me out some.

There are times when I think this town is very strange. Oh, and for all those I said couldn't visit until I had a bigger place...I suppose you can visit, as long as you visit in very small groups or don't mind getting a hotel, since I think I'm gonna stick with this tiny place until my lease runs out, and hopefully by then I'll have saved enough that I'll feel comfortable getting a larger, nicer place. And a cat. Cuz there's definitely no room for a cat in here now. And if that wasn't a segue, I don't know what is. So, here's the pics, and me signing off for the evening. Mata ne!

P.S. The big white expanse with nothing on it in pics 3 and 9 is my bed. Yay for a Murphy bed. Or not. I want a thicker mattress!!











7 comments:

A-muse-ing said...

{{{{hugs}}}} We loves you! Although I think E is about to fall over asleep. We will be visiting you at some point when you, E and I all can have time together. {{{{hugs}}}}

Love and peace.

velocibadgergirl said...

I covet your multi-colored lamp!

You also need to get a gmail account so we can chat!!

xoxo
~vbg

bibliophile81 said...

So the job is really top-secret, huh?

Your apartment is so cute! For some reason, along with trying to imagine how tiny it is, I was kind of imagining it more shaby. It looks really nice, though, all except the whole teeny tiny part. Maybe I will take a 3-day weekend sometime and come see you.

rabidmonkey said...

i wanna visit, but the 16 hour bus ride is a big turn off. i guess i'd have to tag along with the bibliophile.

Julie M. said...

I would have to say it's definitely better than my first apartment, except for the tiny kitchen appliances. My friend Shayna had that kind of stove in her apartment in Baltimore, and she said she couldn't even fit a cookie sheet in the oven.

However, I like your couch a lot and having a murphy bed is so cool! You could probably put a poster on it or something.

I would highly recommend the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland if you're not too far from there, though you should probably wait until you've had a few more paychecks, as it costs $20 or so!

EvilDucky77 said...

Glad to finally get an update from you! Your place doesn't look that bad! :) Glad you are settling in okay. . .

J-Dog said...

if I told you that I put my multi colored lamp out for the dumpster divers, would that upset you VBGirl? It was messed up, the main pole of the lamp would no longer screw into the base, so it would just fall over, but maybe it could have been fixed.. i dunno. I thought you already had one anyway. =P