Friday, July 20, 2007

Woo-freakin-hoo!

I forget that not everyone who reads this blog (though really, it's most) are people I talk to face to face on any kind of semi-regular basis. So, not everyone knows about the job-ness, unless they were in Anderson for GESP or at Old Chicago for pizza before going to see Harry Potter. So, I suppose a story is in order. Yay, story time!

When I graduated from college with my degree in geology I fell back on my total slacker ways. I kept postponing my application process for grad school, and really, around here, that's about all you can do, especially with a Bachelor of Arts in a hard science. After waiting until after VBG got married, I began my search for a job. I ended up with a part-time, supposedly seasonal position, at the same craft store she worked at. My mother, on the other hand, would occasionally look online at a certain site to see if there were any GIS jobs that I could possibly do. I applied to several throughout the course of these few years, some even before I started working at Michaels. None of that ever bore fruit.

About a month ago, my mother was looking again, and mentioned an entry-level position somewhere in Ohio. She encouraged me (with a large clubbing object) to go ahead and send them my resume. Since at one point about a year ago I had thought seriously about moving to Bloomington with Ellie, I had a relatively decent resume made up already, so I emailed it to this place in Ohio. A week passed, and no email from them even saying they got my resume. I figured they just trashed it like pretty much all other places, and became convinced I have to know someone at a place to get a job there (Baskin Robbins and Teacher Incognito, Michaels and VBG).

A couple of days after I thought this, I got a post card. From Ohio. "Hey, we're just letting you know we got your resume, and if it fits our criteria, we'll be in touch." Oh, wow, never got real mail like that before!

So, they have it, but a couple more weeks pass, and I don't hear anything, which really isn't that unusual. Thursday July 5, while I'm at work (closing shift), a guy from TGS calls my house. "Oh, she's at work right now." "Oh, then have her call this number tomorrow before 3." Since I was leaving for GESP that Friday, things got a little rushed, especially since they guy was on the phone almost all morning. I called about 4 times before leaving him a voicemail with my cell number in it, so he could call me back, since I had to get my check and do some last minute shopping before leaving town. When I was in the parking lot of Target (so Ross could get a pair of shorts that actually fit him) trying to find a parking spot, my phone rings. It's the guy. So, while Ross went in to shop, I spent a good 20 min talking to this guy. He gave me the rundown on the job, the company, a little on the town, that sort of thing. The he asked if I was still interested. Yes. "Ok, well, then, I'll email you an application and a questionnaire. Fill them out and send them back, and I'll give them to our hiring guy to look over. If he likes, we'll call you to set up an interview. Phone or in person?" "Um, phone would be best, I don't know how quickly I'd be able to make it there for an in person." "Ok."

I get home from GESP, end up having to go to the library to fill them out, since I needed a computer with Word on it, and mail it out the next Friday. On Tuesday (so they only had my app for a day or so!) I get a call. "We'd like to set up a phone interview. Tomorrow ok?" "Yes...no! No, tomorrow I work all morning. Thursday is better." "Ok, Thursday at 1." Which means 12 my time. Thursday rolls around, and my interview lasts 25 minutes. When it ends, the guy says he'll talk with the other guy (the one I talked to on the phone before) and if they both like me, they'll get back to me in a couple of days. I'm thinking they're gonna get together and be like "Eh, she's ok, but, eh...not really what we're looking for" and call me on Monday with a "We're sorry to get your hopes up." I go ahead and eat lunch and watch a little TV. Exactly an hour later, (the clock read 1:24) I get another call from them. I'm thinking they forgot to ask me something, or need some follow up questions or something. No. It's the first guy I talked to. "If you're really still interested, you're hired. We can start you in late August or in early September. Which works better for you?" "Uh...September...I need to sit down."

I'm still in shock. I'm nervous and a little afraid to be moving out there (to Wooster, OH), but this is waaaay too awesome to pass up.

11 comments:

A-muse-ing said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :) I know, we talked about this last night...but still! {{{{hugs}}}} The total awesomeness of this gives me hope that I will be able to find something when my time rolls around. And, well, it's totally rockin' for you. :) Woot! Go, go power Sharon!

Danger said...

Hooray and Congrats!

basscomm said...

Whee! Congratulations!

J-Dog said...

Oh, sweet! Mov'n to Ohio? Wow. Looks like the slow migration out of Eville has really begun (first its me, then its C and her man move'n to norther IN and now you) Will you still be coming to visit chi-town in august? I dabble in GIS here at work and it is cool. I'd love to do it as my full time job. It sounds like a great deal. :) congrats!!

Julie M. said...

And I hardly ever check your blog because you don't update it that often, but congratulations!!! I'm sure Wooster will be fabulous!

bibliophile81 said...

Holy fuck, how did I miss this!? I haven't heard anything since you first heard of the job! I'm in shock. Everyone is leaving! C. and BTP... now you!

A-muse-ing said...

Hey, are you available to come up here during August at some point? Katie is in Indy, and she wanted to see you. Umm...E and I will be gone the 10th-14th and the 18th & 19th, if that helps any. Or, you know, you could just stop by this weekend or next. ;) ('cause you can always just 'stop by' Anderson..it's sooo close to Eville and all....)

Peace and love.

A-muse-ing said...

Yeah, I figured you had a lot of plans--so many people love Sharon! :) Maybe we should all try to meet in Bloomington at some point? That's where Ellie is, too. Hmm. Thinking thinking thinking.

And I just had a mental image of you with a bunch of cards that said "comments" on them, running off in chibi-fashion with a thought bubble over your head. lol

Peace and love.

rabidmonkey said...

i'm very happy for you, and hopefully this means i'll get promoted, but damn it's gonna be weird as hell when you're gone.

p.s. j-dog, anderson is not in northern indiana. it's really close to indy.

bibliophile81 said...

You're not going to post again until you're actually in Wooster, are you?

rabidmonkey said...

that would be over a month, so surely we're owed one more post before she leaves.

p.s. i'm buying you a going away present in another tab right now, and you're going to love it.