Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hey, don't let the post below fool you, I was planning on writing another one of these things today. Really! I'm not shittin' you!

Unfortunately, if you're looking for interesting things I've done lately, you will be sorely disappointed. I don't feel like talking about E's party or possible job-ness right now. I'll save that for later. I promise. Though we may save the job thing for when I hear I don't have it. :P

No, instead, I'm going to talk about some of my weird yearnings. No, I'm not talking ice cream and pickles (I'm definitely not pregnant, and ew! Pickles), though ice cream is always good. No, I'm talking about the weird little thoughts that lead me to want to do crazy things that I'd need a smaller fear of people and hard work, and a winning Powerball ticket, to achieve.

Take, for instance, an idea I came up with while in college. My college was a small one, with a Dining Hall on one floor, and the "UG" (the UnderGround) in the basement. The UG was a grill; quick order, here's some fries, grab a drink, kinda place. They had some set meals, and I usually went with the grilled chicken or the chicken fingers. But, occasionally I would crave beef. However, the menu consisted of grilled steak and cheeseburgers if you wanted something that went "Moo". Now, I like steak fine, but I would still sometimes want a hamburger. Not a cheeseburger. So, I would joke that I wanted my burger naked, just like I liked my fries. And that got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool to create a restaurant? The Naked Burger, where you get to pick what, if anything, goes on your sandwich, ranging from tomato and American cheese, to Feta and olives, to alfalfa sprouts and Italian dressing. I'd arrange it with levels; Level 1 being the normal stuff, boring cheeses, and the ability to choose up to 3 for one price, and 5 or so for another. Condiments (like ketchup, mustard, mayo) are included for no extra charge. Then Level 2 would be the weirder stuff, the Feta and alfalfa and such, if you wanted to go that far. It would be awesome! And it would involve capital I don't have, as well as a business sense.

Or how about the idea of a bunch of my friends and I opening a coffee shop/used bookstore? In someplace like Chicago. A coffee shop on ground level, with decent priced coffee and games to play and old cushy chairs to sit in and hang out. And a used bookstore in the basement/back room, where if you'd rather not buy, you could read while sipping your coffee. Still awesome.

Or even the most recent idea, thought of in the brains of myself and rabidmonkey, a product of our desire to ride rollercoasters. A musically-themed theme park! We'd have Country, where we'd put the wooden coaster; Swing/Jazz, where we'd put the inverted coaster and the swings; Rap, where we'd stick a regular metal coaster complete with graffiti-covered cars; Rock, with an indoor, strobe-infested coaster; and even Musical Theater! It would be soooo cool!

It's such a shame that my imagination is so much more powerful than my ability to actually do anything...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are going to offer alfalfa sprouts, you might as well offer a veggie burger. . .besides, I would like to eat at your restaurant someday!

:P

norahs1213 said...

Don't worry...that restaurant idea includes beef and/or buffalo burgers, veggie burgers, chicken, and fish. And I'd probably use my vegetarian friends as guinea pigs, er, I mean, taste-testers of what makes a good veggie burger, cuz we all know I won't want to eat one ;).

A-muse-ing said...

Dude, you have the coolest ideas. :) You should patent them and sell them. lol

I have fond memories of Naked Burger talking. :) And the bookstore...totally awesome. I'd be there, sans coffee. "Can I get a hot cocoa, please?" ;) I might not visit the theme park...but it still sounds pretty neat. (I'm just scared of coasters.)

Peace and love.