Wednesday, July 12, 2006

And the Lord sayeth unto me, "Build a fucking boat!"

It's true. Yesterday I left for work early (about 45 minutes early) so I wouldn't have to bail out my car, and felt it would be stupid to move it to the end of the block for a half hour. The rain had stopped by that time, but you never know how much further the water will rise, since the storm sewers around here suck ass. My mom says it went down in about an hour. However, this morning around 9-9:30 my mom comes into my room and says I'd better get up and move my car before it floats away. So, I run out in my PJs and my brother's flip-flops, crawl in the passenger side and drive to the end of the block, come back inside, discard my wet PJs and go back to sleep. A while later (I'm not sure when) my brother took these pictures:




















The water did rise some more, another foot or so, and has gone back down a bit, but it's still up, and it's 5:30 in the afternoon. My street will definately be on the local news, and may even be on the Weather Channel. Stupid outdated sewer system. At least this time there weren't any people canoeing down the street!

6 comments:

rabidmonkey said...

actually, on the news there was some lady on madison who gave them a canoe tour. sorry.

i feel sorry for everybody who have water in there houses, but when this one guy was bitching that he just spent a lot of money putting in new hardwood floors and stuff, i just wanted to say to him, "it's happened how many times? you knew it was gonna happen again. if you didn't think to do something cheap until they fixed it, that's what you get."

by the by, contruction is supposed to start august 1st on the holding tank under the park thing. so maybe it'll be better next rainy season.

Anonymous said...

The people who's house is for sale in the first photo should use that picture to try to sell the house. I'm sure they'd get a lot of potential buyers. . .not.

Julie M. said...

Yikes! There was just a tornado in Massachusetts, which almost never happens!

A-muse-ing said...

Dude, what's up with all the weather lately??? North & South IN flooded, the Northeast flooded, MA had a tornado, our church organist called from Long Beach (he's also a performer) to say he'd just been in a tornado.... What the hell?

As for canoeing...I remember an ice/snowstorm up here my senior year of high school, when people were cross-country skiing. ~_-

Peace.

A-muse-ing said...

Err, make that Long Island, rather than Long Beach....

Peace.

bibliophile81 said...

Oy! Global warming!

I bet you were flooded again today.